If you write music, perform new music, or have a passionate interest in new music and its future, join us to be a part of the Composers Society of Singapore (CSS).
Our members include prominent Singaporean and Singapore-based composers, as well as emerging young composers, performers, technologists, conductors, academics and even aficionados of new music.
As a CSS member, you will be able to:
- Be on the mailing list
- Receive discounts on CSS events (e.g. concert tickets)
- Receive opportunities to be featured on various CSS platforms
- Participate in members-only initiatives and events
- Vote at the AGM
Do note that the Composers Society of Singapore is only available for Singaporeans and residents in Singapore. In other words, all members must possess Singaporean citizenship, Singaporean PR, or the correct visas and/or permits to work/study/reside in Singapore.
New Membership Structure from 2020
From 2020 onwards, there are three categories of CSS membership:
- For professional practising composers only [see note 1 below]
- Must be a Singaporean citizen or PR, or based in Singapore with a valid work permit or long-term visa 
- Submit copy of ID, work permit, or visa
- Must provide a concert bio, and your CV/resume
- EITHER Hold a degree/diploma in composition or related field (e.g. film composition, sound design, mixed media, improvisation, sound engineering, computer music)
- Submit copy of degree/diploma
- OR in the absence of any of the above-mentioned degrees or diplomas, provide proof of professional work in composition, improvisation, sound design, sound engineering or computer music
- Submit proof of professional work. They can be in the form of concert booklets or other publicity material for public ticketed concerts, commercials, film samples, publications or recordings by registered companies/institutions.
- Must be a Singaporean citizen or PR, or based in Singapore with a valid student pass or study visa 
- Submit copy of ID, student pass, or visa
- EITHER currently majoring in composition or related field in an official institution
- Submit proof of attendance (e.g. copy of valid student ID)
- OR private study with a composition teacher
- Submit a referral letter – the teacher may or may not be a member of CSS, but must be recognised within the local scene as a professional practising composer
- Bio, CV and resume optional
- Professional musicians in other fields (e.g. performance, conducting, musicology, theory, music therapy, music education), or
- Artists in other fields (e.g. theatre, dance, literature), or
- Arts administrators, or
- Students who do not major in composition or related field in an official institution. E.g. general MEP students or performers. They may convert their membership to or when they meet the requirements i.e. change to composition study/major or decide to venture into composition
- Must be citizen/PR or based in Singapore with a valid work permit, student pass or long-term visa 
- Submit copy of ID, work permit, student pass, or visa
- Bio, CV and resume optional
- As this category of membership is recognised as being for non-composers, associate members will be ineligible for participation in our call for scores (e.g. those by Asian Composers League (ACL) and CSS)
All membership registration is to be done online via our website. The new signup form for the year 2020 is below.
Please note that all membership applications are subjected to approval by the current EXCO. Membership payment will only be made upon the approval of your application.
Your membership period will be based on the calendar year (1 Jan to 31 Dec every year). Membership fees are not pro-rated.
Thus for 2021, if you order the 1-year membership, it will run from 1 Jan 2021 (F) to 31 Dec 2021 (F), whereas the 3-year membership will last from 1 Jan 2021 to 31 Dec 2023.
In light of the COVID-19 situation, for the year 2020, CSS has decided to extend the membership period of all current CSS members by one year.
If you have signed up for a one-year membership this year, your membership will expire only on 31 Dec 2021. If you have opted for the 3-year package, your membership will expire only on 31 Dec 2023. This is to give existing members more opportunities to make full use of their membership privileges for CSS initiatives that have been postponed this year.
For non-members who are interested in joining us, or past members who have yet to renew their CSS membership, these revised membership terms would also apply if you sign up for or renew your membership this year.
For further enquiries, please feel free to contact us for clarification.
Signups and Renewals
For past and new members, please fill up and submit the form below.
 The Composers Society of Singapore (hereinafter called “CSS”) defines a “Composer” as an individual who actively create artworks in the fields of concert music, film composition, sound design, mixed media, improvisation, sound engineering, or computer music.
 Please refer to Singapore’s Ministry of Manpower’s website.