Jun 23, 2020
Call for Scores: Allmänna Sången & Anders Wall Composition Award 2021
Deadline: 31 Dec 2020 (Th)
Entry Fee: SEK350 (about €35)
For the fourth time, Allmänna Sången and Anders Wall together with Gehrmans Musikförlag AB will be organising the ”Allmänna Sången & Anders Wall Composition Award”, a competition for female composers. The prize includes, in addition to a prize sum of SEK 50,000, that the winning piece is premiered by Allmänna Sången and published by Gehrmans Musikförlag AB.
The international jury includes the well-known composers Libby Larsen (USA) and Ēriks Ešenvalds (Latvia), led by Robert Sund (Sweden).
- The competition is open to any female composer, irrespective of nationality, age, or profession.
- Each participant may enter only one piece into the competition.
- The piece must be unpublished and must not previously have been performed.
- The contestant/composer has to submit to the following, apart from what is aforementioned required and required below as well as what is required on www.allmannasangen.se/asawca, to qualify for entering into the competition:
- That she, upon request from either Allmänna Sången or Gehrmans Musikförlag, will admit to let her entered contribution to be published by Gehrmans Musikförlag.
- That she has no third party affiliation that will hinder her entered contribution to benpublished by Gehrmans Musikförlag.
- Lyrics (new or pre-existing) are chosen by the composer, and should bear relevance for our time.
- If the text is written in another language than English or Swedish, a translation into either English or Swedish must be included.
- If the text is written in another language than English, Swedish or Latin, a pronunciation guide must also be included, preferably written in IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet).
- In case of pre-existing lyrics, it is the composer’s responsibility to seek written permission to use the text, which should be enclosed when entering the competition. Upon entry the contestant/composer has to declare:
- That she is personally liable for any economical and/or judicial claim from third party regarding her (the contestant’s) intentionally or unintentionally use of any pre-existing text that may infringe upon any third party copyright holder.
- The music shall be written for mixed voice a cappella choir with 4–12 parts (SATB–SSSAAATTTBBB), and last for 6–9 min (including all movements, if subdivided).
- Deadline: 16 Dec 2020 (W).
- Submit as digital scores (including lyrics) in PDF, accompanied by an audio file (midi format or similar).
- There is a non-refundable administrative fee of SEK350 (about €35), to be paid when entering the competition.
- The competition will be judged by an internationally acclaimed jury with broad experience of choral music, comprised by composers as well as choral conductors with merits in composition and arrangement. The decision of the jury is final.
- The prize is SEK50,000 (approximately €5000). In addition, the winning contribution will be published by Gehrmans Musikförlag. After informing the composer of concern, Gerhmans Musikförlag may by its sole discretion choose any other submitted contribution to be published.
- Any taxation of the prize money is to be paid solely by the recipient.
- The winning contribution will be performed/premiered by Allmänna Sången in 2021.
- You agree that the organisers will handle your personal information. The organisers collect data regarding name and contact info in order to administrate the competition and contact you when needed. The data you submit will be handled by the project manager and also the board and conductor of Allmänna Sången. Apart from that, Gehrmans Musikförlag AB will get access to the personal data of the winner of the competition. You always have the right to withdraw your consent. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have further questions regarding how the organisers handle your personal data.