Deadline: 31 Oct 2020 (Sa)
Registration fee (non-refundable): €20.00
Results: From 30 Nov 2020 (M)
The Composers Society of Singapore (CSS) has received a call for scores from the organisers of 6th Antonio Smareglia International Composition Competition. Here is their message:
- The Accademia di Studi Pianistici «Antonio Ricci» of Udine, in collaboration with the Casa Musicale Sonzogno of Milan, the Archivio Smaregliano of Udine, the Teatro Nuovo “Giovanni da Udine” and the University of Udine, with the sponsorship of the Regional Council of
Friuli Venice Giulia, Udine Town Council, the Fondazione Friuli, the Fondazione Carigo, Filologica Friulana Society and Ente Friuli nel Mondo are pleased to announce the 6th ANTONIO SMAREGLIA INTERNATIONAL COMPOSITION COMPETITION.
- The Competition is divided into three sections as follows:
- Section A: compositions for solo piano of between 5 and 10 minutes.
- Section B: compositions for solo voice and piano of between 3 and 6 minutes. The choice of text is at the discretion of the composer, provided that:
- the text has been published (or translated) in one of the following languages: Italian, French, English, Spanish or German;
- the text is in the public domain, or the composer has requested and obtained the author’s and/or translator’s explicit permission to use the text (or the permission of his/her legal heirs and/or legal representatives, see §7)
- Section C: compositions for solo voice and piano of between 3 and 6 minutes, with a text in Friulan language. The composer will be able chose freely the text, as long as it is in the public domain, or the composer has requested and obtained the author’s explicit permission to use the text (or the permission of his/her legal heirs and/or legal representatives, see §7). You can find a selection of texts on the website www.filologicafriulana.it, through the page dedicated to the competition.
- The Società Filologica Friulana, patronage of the competition, can provide an additional selection of texts in Friulan language with a possible translation in Italian, German or English, and also audio files with reading of the texts themselves (contact to firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Strictly no electro-acoustic equipment allowed. Only ‘Prepared piano’ techniques may be used.
- The competition is open to participants of every nationality and there are no age restrictions applied. The works presented must be unpublished, never performed, never awarded nor rewarded or reported in other competitions, nor be found in any way or in any form (neither on the web, nor on physical media, nor on LP, nor on CD etc.).
- The Jury Commission (five members) will consist of eminent musicians of international acclaim and a representative of the Artistic Director of the Casa Musicale Sonzogno of Milan.
- Competition entries and scores, with all files specified in point 7, must be delivered no later than 31 Oct 2020 (Sa), only by electronic means and in PDF format, to: concorsosmareglia[at]libero[dot]it
- Participation in the competition is subject to the payment – by bank transfer – of a registration fee (non-refundable) of €20.00.
The IBAN number is:
IT 19 E 05484 12305 CC0641001988
In the name of: ACCADEMIA DI STUDI PIANISTICI «ANTONIO RICCI» – UDINE specifying “6° CONCORSO INTERNAZIONALE DI COMPOSIZIONE ANTONIO SMAREGLIA subscription”
The registration fee entitles to participate with one composition in any section.
Any further composition requires payment of a new registration fee with the same modalities.
- The title and the name and the surname of the author must be evident on the frontispiece of each composition.
Every email must contain, in PDF format:
- the module particulars and contact;
- a ID card copy;
- copy of the receipt of payment of the registration fee;
- a written statement, signed by the composer, affirming that the composition has not been previously published, performed, or received prior awards, prizes or special mentions in previous competitions and that is not possible to find it in any way or in any form (neither on the web, nor on physical media, nor on LP, nor on CD etc.);
- written authorization signed by the author (or his/her legal heirs and/or legal representatives) permitting the use of the literary text selected, where said text is not already in the public domain;
- proof of copyright clearance to publish the work in cases where the composer is contractually bound by an exclusivity agreement to a particular publisher.
Failure to comply with these requirements will result in automatic disqualification.
- The author of the winning work will be obliged to ensure that the score, publicity posters and all future citations of the work are accompanied by the following phrase: “Work awarded the 6° Antonio Smareglia International Competition Prize”.
- The result of the Competition will be announced from 30 Nov 2020 (M) and the competition results will be promptly published on the official website of the Accademia Ricci at accademiaricci.uniud.it.
Winners will be notified through the mail address provided.
- PRIZES (all prize monies are gross and therefore subject to taxation)
SECTION A – Piano
1st Prize – €2000.00. The composition will be published by the Casa Musicale Sonzogno of Milan (see § 7) and will be performed in concert at Giovanni da Udine Theatre. The Casa Musicale Sonzogno will include the winning composition in its own catalogue and will undertake the drafting of the contract and the promotion of the work, the material for which must be delivered strictly in digital format and realized using the Finale or Sibelius software programs.
2nd Prize – €1000.00.
SECTION B – Voice and Piano
1st Prize – €2000.00. The composition will be published by the Casa Musicale Sonzogno of Milan (see §7) and will be performed in concert at Giovanni da Udine Theatre. The Casa Musicale Sonzogno will include the winning composition in its own catalogue and will undertake the drafting of the contract and the promotion of the work, the material for which must be delivered strictly in digital format and realized using the Finale or Sibelius software programs.
2nd Prize – €1000.00.
SECTION C – Voice and Piano, with a text in Friulan language
1st Prize – €2000.00. The composition will be performed in concert during the Setemane de Culture Furlane that will take place from 6 to 16 May 2021.
2nd Prize – €1000.00.
- The Judges may also decide to give special mentions to compositions deemed worthy of particular merit. All winners and those receiving special mentions will receive a Diploma of merit.
- In the event that the Jury should deem the quality of the works presented to be of an insufficient standard, one or more of the prizes may not be awarded.
- The Competition organizers reserve the right to alter the terms and conditions of this competition announcement in the event that such changes become necessary due to Force Majeure or any circumstances beyond the organizers’ control.
- Participation in this Competition implies the full acceptance of the terms and conditions stipulated above.
- The decision of the Jury is final.
- The official text for this competition is deemed to be that published in the Italian language. All disputes shall be subject to the jurisdiction of the Court of Udine.
- For any further information required, candidates are advised to contact: ACCADEMIA DI STUDI PIANISTICI «ANTONIO RICCI» at: https://accademiaricci.uniud.it/
tel. +39.338.6648129 – e-mail: accademiaricci[at]virgilio[dot]it