07 Mar 2022
Call for Application: 2022 International Gugak Workshop
4-15 Jul 2022 (2 weeks)
National Gugak Center (Seoul, Korea)
Application Deadline: 25 Mar 2022 (F)
Acceptance Notification: 15 Apr 2022 (F)
The National Gugak Center will be organising the 2022 International Gugak Workshop, the first in-person workshop since COVID-19 at the National Gugak Center in Seoul. This workshop comprises of lectures on Korean traditional music, instruments lessons, concerts, composition workshop, etc. The 2022 workshop curriculum will be based on 2019 workshop curriculum and the participants’ fields of interest. Up to 15 participants will be accepted.
However, the Korean government currently imposes mandatory 7 days of quarantine to ALL immigrants if they do not bear Quarantine Exemption document. (Policy subject to change in the future) Since the Covid-19 vaccination is essential to apply for this document and for daily life in Korea (vaccine pass), this year’s workshop will be limited to those who have or will have completed vaccination at least 2 weeks before applying for the Quarantine Exemption in June.
- Round-trip flights (economy class) from the airport near the participant’s place of residence to Seoul (Incheon airport).
- Participants should buy their own flight tickets and the Center will reimburse the flight fare during the first week of the workshop in Jul 2022
- There is a limit to the maximum amount the Center reimburses as below:
- Asia: 600,000 KRW
- Oceania: 1,600,000 KRW
- North America: 2,000,000 KRW
- Europe & Middle East: 1,200,000 KRW
- Latin America, Africa: 2,200,000 KRW
- Hotel Accommodation
- Scholars in the fields of ethnomusicology, musicology and music education, etc.
- Music professionals including composers, producers, music festival coordinators, etc.
- Applicant must be fluent in English and has foreign citizenship in a country outside Korea.
- Applicant must be able to participate all the activities in the schedule.
- Application Form (link below)
- Recommendation Letter(s) – Not mandatory.
How to apply
- Fill out attached application form and send it to baewon[at]korea[dot]kr along with CV.
- Your recommenders should email their letters directly to the organisers.
- Your email title should be “Workshop Application“. The organisers will then send you a confirmation email within a week after receiving your email.
- If you do not receive confirmation, please forward your application to: gugakwon[at]gmail[dot]com